Friday, April 17, 2009

abide in me (part 1)

I've just started to re-read Andrew Murray's Abide In Me, which I read for the first time about 6 years ago. I still can't believe that it has been that long, but apparently it has! There are so many little bits of wisdom to pull from the book. I'm trying to read a section every night before I go to bed, which was the thought when he wrote it. (31 sections, so that it could be read in a month.) The book as a whole is based off of John 15:1-12:

1 "I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser. 2 Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit. 3 Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you. 4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. 5 I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. 6 If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned. 7 If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. 8 By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples. 9 As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love. 10 If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and abide in his love. 11 These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full. 12 "This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.


These are the nuggets that I've pulled so far:

Chapter 1: All You Who Have Come to Him
Come unto me. -Matthew 11:28
Abide in me. -John 15:4

He had destined you to something better than a short-lived blessedness, to be enjoyed only in times of special earnestness and prayer, and then to pass away, as you had to return to those duties in which the far greater part of life has to be spent.


Chapter 2: And You Shall Find Rest to Your Souls
Come unto me...and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your soul -Matthew 11:28-29

They did not know how, when Jesus said, "My yoke is easy" (Matt. 11:30), He spoke the truth; how just the yoke gives the rest because the moment the soul yields itself to obey, the Lord Himself gives the strength and joy to do it.


A full surrender is to obey as well as to trust, to trust as well as to obey.


That's all I've got for now. Stay tuned.

No comments: