Wednesday, March 28, 2007

a generation gone...

I made it to the hospital this morning at about 8:15 or so. My grandmother wasn't responsive except for the rise and fall of her blood pressure. When the chaplain came in to pray with her and read the 23rd Psalm, her blood pressure shot up. It's amazing what our bodies can do. They took her breathing tube out around 10:00 because that is what she had wanted. They wouldn't have put one in, in the first place, had they known she had a DNR. Or at least that's what I understood. So, my mom, my aunt Donna, my aunt Sunshine, pastor Aaron, and 2 family friends stood there with her and prayed with her. My mom and I sang to her for a bit. "Soon and Very Soon" seemed like the appropriate song. At 11:00, she finally let go and went to be at home and at rest. I'm sad, but I'm not at the same time. She is out of pain. She is experiencing the one thing that we all long for. I listened to Andrew Peterson's "The Far Country" on the way to the hospital this morning and some of David Crowder's "A Collision" and "B Collision" as well. All of those speak of our home so poignantly. It helps to have that.

No comments: